The Glass Jaw Fuzz is a new take on one of the loudest and meanest circuits in existence, the Acapulco Gold (AG). The AG is a power amp smashing into another power amp, and is said to have been designed to emulate a dimed Sunn Model T preamp. However its one knob only controls the loudness of the output signal and for some considered impractical above a certain loudness threshold.
Enter the Glass Jaw, a circuit designed by Alec Breslow of Mask Audio Electronics. Perfectly designed for bass, the Glass Jaw splits up the input signal into a clean channel and a fuzz channel. The fuzz channel is then augmented by two independent bands of EQ (THUD and GLASS) that allow you to shape the frequency response into all new fuzzy textures for your bass. The LOUD control pairs really well with the CLEAN control, allowing you to add more loudness and compression to the fuzz channel, before cleaning it up with the dry buffered input signal.
Part machine, part beast, this hybridized circuit turns your bass into a horrifying, snarling, roaring bastard that will leave your band members complaining of your effect use, grabbing for their ear plugs, and having meetings about you behind your back. And why wouldn’t they? Who could possibly ignore you with the commanding presence that this pedal allows you to achieve – nay, demands? And you know, who cares about them anyway? Fire those tasteless jerks. You don’t need them anyway. You know what you do need though? Supremely doomy bass fuzz.
The enclosure finish is sanded and polished by hand. To complement its hybrid sound, the artwork features a minimalized rendition of Bruce the mechanical shark as it appeared behind the scenes of the Jaws films.
I do not own any copyrights to the circuit itself, nor do I have any affiliation with the Jaws franchise. This is just a one-off pedal designed for personal use, but am selling it to allow me to continue creating more new pedals.
- EQ section includes bass (THUD) and treble (GLASS) control
- CLEAN knob mixes the distorted signal with the clean input signal, preserving low-end and taming the harsh bite of the circuit
- True bypass
- 100% Hand-made with high-quality components
- THUD – Boost or cut the bass frequencies from the distorted signal
- GLASS – Boost or cut the treble frequencies from the distorted signal
- CLEAN – Blends the distorted signal with the clean signal
- LOUD – Controls the loudness of the distorted signal, interplays with the CLEAN control to find the perfect balance between loudness and sanity
- Power: 9V DC, center negative. No battery compartment.